Had a busy morning - went to kaplan to enrol for the new semester, went to gym, had a quick lunch back home, then headed to the Art Gallery for volunteering. Today I was asked to work in the 'costume' tent/meadow area. Another girl, whom I had met in the first volunteer meeting, and I were helping a team 'leader' and worked together on the meadow by cutting out some paper flowers and grasses for the meadow. The task was not boring; I was ok with it coz I didn't need to have much interaction with others. :p but I did have a chat with that girl and another volunteer who took an initiative to start the conversation. After the workshop had finished, we all volunteers had a short feedback/evaluation meeting with the staff in charge. During the meeting, one of the volunteers suddenly burst into tears and said a friend of hers had passed away. :S None of us had any idea of what was going on with her as the staff in charge took her to the neighbouring room for a chat. We were not sure if her friend's incident had anything to do with the London riot. Anyway, during the meeting, some volunteers talked about the riots and they were busy communicating with their friends/families through texts.
I was so hungry after the voluntary work that I went to a Chinese bakery to buy 3 mini buns. Yummy. Walked past the city centre. Could feel the atomsphere was different from usual - fewer shoppers and some shops had closed early or already wrapped up some expensive items. On my way home, I could see a lot of people trying to get back home by bus or by car. Traffic jams got much serious. My friend and I wanted to get updated with the news but my laptop failed to get access to the internet. Friend tried to go home early by bus but there seemed to be no bus at 7 p.m. already. but 'luckily' he got a lift by a man who was also waiting for bus at the bus stop and who got his wife to come out to pick him up. It was more dangerous to be on the street! Flatmate called to say she was not coming home tonight. Probably she was scared by the riots at the city centre! I was scared too!
Being home alone all night was really scary. I had a chat on the phone with two of my good friends; I kept an eye out of the window all the time. The only 'comforting' thing was I lived in a flat surrounded by many other residents. I heard the sirens from the police cars frequently. Felt like being in a war or something. =_=' Why has this country become like this?
*****
Dinner: pasta in miso soup with chicken & broccoli
Not have much appetite tonight though! :p
No comments:
Post a Comment