It's been almost 4 years since I last saw my phd supervisor. Some time ago I heard that he had been seriously ill and spent some time in hospital. I sent him an email and got to know that he's recovered and back to his job at university. It happened that my Syrian classmate also sent him an email last month to see how he was doing. So he gathered me, my Syrian classmate and another classmate of mine to his office today for a chat. Supervisor looked ok but he seemed a bit weak and was even fatter than before. I later got to know from my Syrian classmate that he was almost dead when he was in coma for several months! Fortunately he recovered, or we'd have lost such a great linguist - he was excited and talked about his research - he's on his research leave at the moment! The conversation among us was mainly around the situations in the Middle East as my two classmates were from those countries where the political situation was very unstable at the moment. I didn't mind about the topics and having to be quiet - I'm not a good talker in front of my supervisor and classmates. :p It was nice to see my supervisor and my two classmates, which reminded me of those days of being a student. The university's changed a lot (in terms of buildings).
I accompanied my two classmates to a nearby supermarket which was about to close down. I only bought a can of luncheon meat as it was half price. :p Then my Syrian classmate and I went to Blackwells for a late lunch as we were not full when having some snacks in the supervisor's office! Syrian classmate is already 21 weeks pregnant, which surprised me today since she just got married. Basically her encounter with her newly wed husband also surprised me! Anyway I'm glad for her as she's happy with a new family and new life. Last year she was still under stress of getting a stable job and her visa. Now she's got a good man who can provide her with stable and happy life! :)
Maybe Syrian classmate is right. My health problems are due to me being jobless and having too much time to think. She said when you thought you were ill, you were ill and felt your whole body was not well. That's what she experienced before! But when she was with friends, she got her attention distracted and wouldn't feel so much unwell. Maybe I should hang out with friends more often?
Somehow I feel miserable about myself. :( Anyway I gotta be positive and work hard for my future..
Late Lunch at Blackwells: Tomato & Basil Soup with bread
The soup was nice but I guess I didn't have lunch till so late that my stomach was in pain after I had food..
Dinner: spaghetti with mixed vegetables, chicken & pork from last night's soup leftover
in cream of chicken soup! :)
Oh these strawberries are quite nice! (though they expired yesterday)
No comments:
Post a Comment